Mozilla Thunderbird is an amazing email client. I love to keep my email messages at one place and staying away from application which need installation when I must reinstall my Windows. I found Thunderbird portable to solve the problem and the best part of being portable is we could install it on an USB thumb-drive.
I want to access my Hotmail Windows Live Mail with an email client. Microsoft recently release an beta version of Windows Live Mail email client, and it didn’t work at all. Okay, I must open an internet browser and checking my email.
Fortunately, Thunderbird have an extension which called WebMail extension. It help users to accessing famous webbased email provider like Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL, Lycos, and many more. You could check whether if your web-based email provider also supported by this extension.
The installation is pretty easy. I assume you don’t have Thunderbird, please do this step :
- Download Mozilla ThunderBird Portable
- Download WebMail Extension
- Download Hotmail extension or othe optional extension.
- Install Mozilla ThunderBird Portable
- Installing WebMail Extension and restart
To install WebMail Extension, you must open Thunderbird and point to tools > add ons > install. Then select your .xpi file which you had downloaded from Webmail Extension site.
- Installing Hotmail Extension and restart.
Do the same method with previous point to install Hotmail Extension. This will help you downloading your email on Windows Live Mail.
- Back to Addons menu / windows, then check all required port by the Web Mail extension
- Setting up your web-based account on Mozilla Thunderbird.
The steps would be same with creating new account for POP3 or IMAP account and you must specify username with full email address. On the first window you must select Web Mail as your choice to access your email.
- Configure your Hotmail Extension to support Windows Live
Check Windows Live as your carrier, if you don’t do this mostly you will failed to fetch email from your Hotmail Account.
- Getting your web-based email messages and Enjoy!
You will ask, where the screenshot?. The screenshot crashing my blog engine … hahaha. Really!